And don’t spend your time lookin’ around
For something you want that can’t be found
When you find out you can live without it
And go along not thinkin’ about it
I’ll tell you something true
The bare necessities of life will come to you
Lyrics from The Bare Necessities, The Jungle Book
It never fails. Victoria’s Secret models always turn heads. People know a fit-sized figure and just the right amount of clothing when they see it.
Now, that doesn’t mean we’re all going to hop up on the runway and model the same skimpy lingerie. Most of us would have to workout or lose a lot of weight, first!
So, what do attractive models tell us about fit-sized living? I believe they’re the perfect metaphor that living with less is not just smart, but sexy.
Much has been written and said about sustainable living, and that’s good. Yet, when it comes to our own lives, we find it terrifying to take that leap of faith into the living-with-less abyss.
Fit-sized living is not a dance, but a journey. And the path to a right-sized lifestyle starts in the imagination. May I take the first couple steps with you?
Let’s listen carefully to the ideas of the world’s wisest minds and discover what they thought about fit-sized living:
- It is every man’s obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. ~Albert Einstein
- In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest. ~Henry Miller, The Books in My Life
- Giving up doesn’t always mean you are weak. Sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go. ~Author Unknown (but wise!)
- All philosophy in two words: sustain and abstain. ~Epictetus
- The biggest problem in the world could have been solved when it was small. ~Witter Bynner, The Way of Life According to Laotzu
- The essential question is not, “How busy are you?” but “What are you busy at?” ~Oprah Winfrey
- A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. ~Henry David Thoreau
- I used to believe that anything was better than nothing. Now I know that sometimes nothing is better. ~Glenda Jackson
- Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You’ll find what you need to furnish it — memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey. ~Tad Williams
Fit-sized living begins in our mind, so re-read these suggestions and see if any work for you. Of course, being sexy is just one aspect of real beauty. Smart living includes attributes such as moderation, integrity, and passion.
For now, if you take away nothing else from this blog, consider this: Living within the bare necessities of life is not just smart — it’s sexy.